Frederick T. Short
SeagrassNet, which I direct, is an expanding global monitoring effort. In 2002-03, I extended SeagrassNet to Brazil, giving a workshop at the University of Rio de Janeiro and taking several field trips that included training sessions for seagrass graduate students, marine managers, and national park personnel. SeagrassNet sites were established in Indonesia in the summer of 2002. I conducted a field training session in Komodo, Indonesia with participation from The Nature Conservancy and the World Wildlife Fund. A monitoring site was established in Tanzania and all the SeagrassNet sites in the Western Pacific continued with quarterly fixed-transect monitoring. Environmental sensors and seagrass samples are sent to UNH for processing; the SeagrassNet website is now fully operational (www.SeagrassNet.org) to receive monitoring data. Read more...
Short, F.T. and S. Wyllie-Echeverria. 1996. Natural and human-induced disturbance of seagrasses. Environmental Conservation 23(1):17-27.
Davis, R. and F.T. Short. 1997. An improved method for transplanting eelgrass, Zostera marina L. Aquatic Botany, 59:1-15.
Burdick, D.M. and F.T. Short. 1999. The effects of boat docks on eelgrass beds in coastal waters of Massachusetts. Environmental Management, 23:231-240.
Short, F.T. and H. Neckles. 1999. The effects of global climate change on seagrasses Aquatic Botany, 63:169-196.
Short, F.T., D.M. Burdick, C.A. Short, R.C. Davis and P.A. Morgan. 2000. Developing success criteria for restored eelgrass, salt marsh and mud flat habitats. Ecological Engineering, 15:239-252.
Short, F.T., K. Matso, H. Hoven, J. Whitten, D.M. Burdick and C.A. Short. 2001. Lobster use of eelgrass habitat in the Piscataqua River on the New Hampshire/Maine Border, USA. Estuaries 24: 249-256.
Short, F.T. and R.G. Coles (eds.).2001. Global Seagrass Research Methods. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam. 473pp.
Short, F.T., R.C. Davis, B.S. Kopp, C.A. Short and D.M. Burdick. 2002. Site selection model for optimal restoration of eelgrass, Zostera marina L. Marine Ecology Progress Series 227: 253-267.
Ralph, P.J. and F.T. Short. 2002. Impact of the wasting disease pathogen, Labyrinthula zosterae, on the photobiology of eelgrass, Zostera marina. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 228: 265-271.
Gaeckle, J. and F.T. Short. 2002. A plastochrone-based method for measuring leaf growth in eelgrass, Zostera marina L., Bulletin of Marine Science.71:1237-1246.
Green, E.P. and Short, F.T. (eds.). 2003. World Atlas of Seagrasses. University of California Press, Berkeley, USA. 286pp.
Behm, P.M., R.M.J. Boumans and F.T. Short. 2003. Spatial Modeling of Eelgrass Distribution in Great Bay, New Hampshire. In: R. Costanza and A. Voinov (eds.) Spatially Explicit Landscape Simulation Modeling. Springer-Verlag, in press.
Lee, K.S., F.T. Short, D.M. Burdick. 2004. Development of a nutrient pollution indicator using the seagrass, Zostera marina, along nutrient gradients in three New England estuaries. Aquat. Bot.
Lee, K.S., F.T. Short, D.M. Burdick. In review. Seasonal changes in plant morphology and leaf tissue nutrient constituents of eelgrass, Zosteramarina L., for use in a nutrient pollution indicator. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.
Selected Service Activities
- Advise NH Department of Transportation on eelgrass ecology, restoration, and mitigation
- Advise NH Department of Environmental Services on eelgrass dredging
- Advise US Army Corps of Engineers on eelgrass issues
- Advise National Marine Fisheries Service on eelgrass ecology and restoration
- Advise US EPA on eelgrass ecology and restoration
- Attend the New England Estuarine Research Society (NEERS) meetings
- New England Fisheries Management Council, Advisor to the Habitat Committee
- Review manuscripts for the following journals: Aquatic Botany, Ecology, Restoration Ecology, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Estuaries, Limnology and Oceanography, Environmental Conservation, Marine Pollution Bulletin, & Australian J. of Marine Science
- Review grant proposals for the National Science Foundation, Sea Grant, National Estuarine
- Research Reserve Program, and the US EPA
- Member, New Hampshire Dredge Task Force
- Member, working group to identify potential Small Island and Coastal World Heritage Sites
- Member, Coastal Habitats at Risk working group