Peter J. Pekins
Professor, Wildlife Ecology
- IROP Henry Jones 2010 – Predation of capercaillie and black grouse nests in Norwegian forests
- SURF Kit Block 2009 – Ecology of suburban bears in southeastern NH
- SURF Henry Jones 2009 – Impacts of moose on forest regeneration in northern New Hampshire
- SURF Wesley Smith 2008 - Ecology of suburban bears in southeastern NH
- SURF Orrin Jones 2007 - Genetic Tagging of Black Bears
- UROP Jake Borgeson 2006 - Genetic Tagging of Black Bears
Musante, A. R., P. J. Pekins, and D. L. Scarpitti. 2010. Characterisitics and dynamics of a regional moose Alces alces population in the northeastern United States. Wildlife Biology 16: 185-204.
Pekins, P. J., and M. D. Tarr. 2009. A Critical Analysis of the Winter Ecology of White-tailed Deer and Management of Spruce-Fir Deer Wintering Areas with Reference to Northern Maine. Cooperative Forestry Research Unit, Research Report RR-08-02. Orono, Maine. 154 pp.
Musante, A. R., P. J. Pekins, and D. L. Scarpitti. 2007. Metabolic impacts of winter tick infestations on calf moose. Alces 43: 101-107.
Scarpitti, D. L., P. J. Pekins, and A. R. Musante. 2007. Characteristics of neonatal moose habitat in northern New Hampshire. Alces 43: 29-38.
Scarpitti, D. L., C. Habeck, A. R. Musante, and P. J. Pekins. 2005. Integrating habitat use and population dynamics of moose in northern New Hampshire. Alces 41: 25-35.
Pekins, P. J. 2005. Winter bioenergetics of eastern wild turkeys: understanding energy balance and survival in northern populations. Proc. of 6th National Wild Turkey Symposium. In press.
Silverberg, J. K., P. J. Pekins, and R. A. Robertson. 2003. Moose responses to wildlife viewing and traffic caused stimuli. Alces 39:153-160.
Silverberg, J. K., P. J. Pekins, and R. A. Robertson. 2002. Impacts of wildlife viewing on moose use of a roadside salt lick. Alces 38:205-211.
Walter, W. D., P. J. Pekins, A. T. Rutberg, and H. J. Kilpatrick. 2002. Evaluation of immunocontraceptive adjuvants, titers, and fecal pregnancy indicators in free-ranging white-tailed deer. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 30:908-914.
Walter, W. D., P. J. Pekins, A. T. Rutberg, and H. J. Kilpatrick. 2002. Evaluation of immunocontraception in a free-ranging suburban white-tailed deer. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 30:186-192.
Selected Service Activities
- University Woodlands Committee
- UNH Ecosystems Task Force
- University Honors Program Liaison
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Liaison
- Editor-in-Chief ALCES, International Journal of Moose Research and Management